Saturday 2 June 2012

To the place where I Live :)

                                         Civics taught us : food, clothing and shelter are the basic necessities of a human being. Economics added education and money to the list..( spare me if I am jumbling with the subjects..I am a science student). But value education always said : "The house or shelter is not a home unless it contains food and fire for Minds as well as body" how true is that! Home is the best place on the earth you can ever be. It is the real cave for all your feelings, thoughts, ideas and dreams. This article is dedicated to My home..probably the only way I can ever express my gratitude towards it..! Housyy dear..wish you could read this like you read my mind!
                              I live in a big old beautiful house. Yes..it is big like with 10 rooms and a backyard of which I can never get enough of! I have been living in this house right since I was three months old. And this house stands in it place and belongs to my family from 40 long years. My grand dad built it when my dad was a kid.  Righteously named "samruddhi" meaning prosperity and happiness..my house has both of these things in plenty. It has seen the childhood of both me and my dad. It has always been there. It has been with us when my family barely had a cycle and also has been a shelter to our dazzling cars. Its one of those things like stars in the sky for me. However hard the day might have been, its always there for me when I get home at night.
                              For me, my house means my sisters. I see our childhood in its every corner. I see my eldest sister playing the innumerable doll games in the backyard in summers. I see my younger sisters doing all the naughty pranks all day long. I still recall the uncountable cassettes we recorded with our singing and screaming. The uncountable board games with the neighbourhood kids. The occasional scrabble game with my grand dad. My grand mom's pleading and running behind us just to attend one classical music sessions she carries out in her room. And without attending that even, we siblings being one of the best performers at the yearly classical exams. My house means the various tricks my Mom had to make to make us eat when we were too busy playing. Its like a big timeline profile of our childhood. I will never have to look at the photographs of my childhood as long as this house stays. It has those memories carved on its walls.
                                     For me, My house means arts. It was the place I first read Charles dickens. My house has like 500 books from different authors and on different subjects n different languages. The atmosphere is like anyone can fall in love with reading. My house means music. It has heard my grand parents, my dad and me- all three generations singing. Its a very rare day when there are no songs or tunes played in this house. The musical tastes may have varied from classical to gazals. From old Hindi film songs to rock music. But the music has stayed. Its like even if we don't need it..the house demands it.
                             I am sure most of you will agree to this. Every house has a fragrance. Its neither good nor bad. But its distinct for every house. My house also has one. Its a mixed aroma of my Mom's kitchen, the crafty glue my grand mom uses in her arts class, the smell of different kinds of books my grand dad keeps in his closet and off course to top it all..the aroma from the trees in my backyard. From bananas to jackfruits. I don't know what it appears like to other people, but for me its the the fragrance of bliss and sanity. Its magical.
                          My house has taught me to have faith. It has taught me that the leaking roof means there is shelter. It has taught me that the scorching sun in the noon means the bright sunlight in the morning. It has taught me that all things can't remain the same. They need a change. All that matters is adaptation with the new times. It has taught me that you can choose the colours of your life like you choose them for the walls of your house. It has taught me to be big and accommodate everyone despite their differences. It has taught me that I can find god in the little idol residing in it and that I don't need to search it outside. It has given me the comfort to dream, try and even fail. It has given me the solitude when I most needed it and the togetherness when I wanted. It has been that integral part of my life on which I can always count. I may sound materialistic..but yes..this very house is the symbol of my belief in love, trust and happiness.
                             I have lived in this house all my life. Time may come sooner or later when I will have to leave. I might leave..but never separate. I wonder if my kids will ever play in its backyard like I did! Will they ever understand the stories the walls of his house witnessed! But I always will. It will take care of my parents and grand parents even if I am away. It will understand my need to leave and will always be open for me whenever I want to come back. It will rejoice when I succeed and will never let me loose my hope when I fail. Wherever I go, it will be with me. Because I don't live in it..it resides in me! My home : My family : My love : My life..:)
                            



8 comments:

  1. Very Good!! Keep writing, definitely it will refine & enrich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also have talked about various uncles, aunts, (and more importantly) grandpas (and unavoidably grandmas too)who drop in (uninvited) occasionally (and mostly at wrong time)and contribute to the 'Samruddhi'

    ReplyDelete
  3. @viju abba : yes..probably i should have added how the family including grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles add to the bliss of "samruddhi" :) spare the words like "uninvited" and "mostly at wrong time"..i dont like those words AT ALL..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I always enjoy reading your blogs Renuka... they are really amusing... and you possess a unique gift of expressing things in the most articulate manner!
    way to go girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Asmita : i am all smiles for this appreciation :) thanx a lot! i hope to do better!

    ReplyDelete